Things you might like to know
In case you’re just joining us – just found us on Twitter or FaceBook, or found us through a Google search for contests – here are some things I’d like you to know.
1) I’m a stay-at-home mom with two younger kids (3 yr old and 7 yr old). I chose to raise my kids instead of going back to work, a decision I sometimes regret but in the end really appreciate (it’s not for everybody, but it works for us). Because I don’t have an income, I try to contribute by winning our “entertainment” – money, trips, family shows, Playland passes, etc.
2) I started writing this blog just to keep myself organized because I couldn’t keep track of all the radio contests. When people started reading it and engaging, I found my calling!! Blogging is where it’s at for me. I get to talk about the contests with other people who “get it”, which makes me feel like part of a community (much like techies like to get together in chat rooms, I suppose). We all love radio, we love contests, and we like to compare notes.
3) I started out with a free blog at blogspot, and set up a Twitter account to get them out there. As the community grew, I started a FaceBook page and a website, where I’ve expanded to other contests besides just radio. I use my Contests Vancouver FaceBook page profile to comment on other posts as a simple way to let people know we exist.
4) Because this is not a business and merely a personal page, sometimes I say things that can offend people. I don’t go out of my way to piss people off, and I try to act with a conscience. In general, I am very giving and FORgiving. I pretty much like everyone, and always try to see where they’re coming from when they make comments (whether I agree or disagree).
5) I am fiercely loyal and can be a pitbull if crossed. I am socially awkward, inappropriate, and an over-sharer. I’m a co-sleeping, un-coddling, eat-junk-food-till-you-puke, natural consequences type of parent. I bark at my kids and sometimes at my friends, usually because I’m at the end of my rope. It’s nothing a simple spa getaway wouldn’t resolve! I hope I can win one…
6) I love helping people, especially if I can help them win something. I’m trying to win stuff too, but if I don’t win, then I’m just as happy for the person who DOES win! There have been so many times I wished someone was there to help me – keep track of guesses, a list of names called, a phone call if I missed my name, etc. Well, now I AM that somebody. And I am HAPPY to help others. Because I can. Paying it forward after a lifetime of reaping the benefits of others’ kindness.
7) While the radio contests are my passion – The disc jockeys are my “friends” because I have few in real life, and I love them all for their unique personalities – I am looking to promote LOCAL businesses. I want my site to list all the local small businesses that have contests going on right now. How cool would that be – come to the website, click on Surrey, and see all the local businesses there that are having a contest! It would be a great promotion for the small business, and a great way for people to discover new things in their neighbourhood!
If you know of any small businesses that would like to have a contest but can’t afford to advertise in newspapers or online, point them my way! I’d be happy to blog, tweet, and FaceBook about it!