Last weekend I anticipated a full blown SPICED attack – that’s Seasonal Panic Induced by Contests Ending Disorder – an all-too familiar anxiety experienced biannually. The December bout is not nearly as bad because the break between ratings races is pretty small, but this spring SPICED is awful because it’s months and months before the fun stuff starts up again. I was NOT looking forward to those upcoming days, weeks, and months of boredom, the dull ache each morning around 8am when there’s nothing to do but talk to my family. EEP!
But THEN… BAM! Zed drops a bomb and my SPICED is postponed for a few extra weeks this season! WOOT!
I’m sure you’ve already heard about their new Stop, Pop, and Drop contest. No, it was Pop, Stop, and Shop. No… damn it… Pop, Shop, and Drop. That’s it! When I first heard on Friday this contest was coming up, I wasn’t overly thrilled. It was another “listen for this song and be caller 95 to win a shopping trip to New York” or whatever. Remember those? SNORE! You listen all month and miss it anyway. No thanks!
But I was WRONG! I was soooooo wrong. I LOVE being wrong!!!
This contest is not at all what I thought it was going to be, and I couldn’t be happier to be mistaken. I ASSUMED something, and you know what happens when you assume: you make an ass out of u. That’s all, just u. It had nothing to do with me. So yeah, I made an assumption and now I’m an ass. That’s cool.
Z95.3 is sending one person and a guest on a whirlwind trip which includes a Spice Girls concert in freakin’ London! WOWZA! Then you hop over to Paris, do a little shopping. Then you whiz over to Barcelona and plop down on the beach for a little R&R. The entire prize is worth a whopping $15,000 but I’m pretty sure this experience is priceless. What an incredible once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
But wait! That’s not ALL! Just for qualifying, you win a River Rock package worth $600 which includes a one-night’s stay, breakfast buffet, and $100 for gambling. WHAAAAAAAT?!?! This ain’t no $50 to Subway, yo! 😆
This contest runs for 15 days (6am – 6pm weekdays only) and there are 15 qualifying prizes to win. That means they will play a Spice Girls song EVERY weekday. All you have to do is be caller 9 when you hear it and you win that sweet River Rock staycation. Then you and 14 of your rivals are in the May 27th draw for the grand prize.
I can’t even. I’m sweating just typing about it. What an amazing prize. Ah. Mazing.
Here are all the nitty gritty things you need to know:
- the trip takes place June 13th to June 22nd. Don’t play if you can’t travel then.
- 3 nights London, 3 nights Paris, 3 nights Barcelona.
- includes $5000 cash (!)
- must be a Canadian resident
- there is a runner-up prize of $1000
- odds of winning are 1 in 15.
- winner will be chosen by reverse draw at the River Rock on May 27th at 5:30. If you can’t be there then, you can’t win the grand prize or runner-up prize (but can still get the qualifying prize.)
- 30 day rule applies – you can’t play if you’ve won anything in the past 30 days.
- only one qualifying prize per person. The Contest Rules have a bit of a misleading sentence which states: “Limit of one (1) qualifying prize per person per day during the Contest Period.” This means if the song plays twice in a day (which I doubt but you never know!) you can only win one of those times. Seems to me this goes without saying, I’m not sure why they thought they needed to put it in writing. Simply “one qualifying entry per person” would suffice. Nonetheless, only qualify once please.
The Pros and Cons of this contest:
- $5000 cash
- easy to qualify
- great odds (low number of entries)
- sweet qualifying prize
- reverse draw – ugh. I hate those. It’s torture how it drags out the losing.
- short notice – most people have already booked their vacation days and can’t just fly off to Europe on a whim. But I can! So this should be in the Pros section!!
I can’t say enough good things about this contest. It has breathed new life into me. Thank you Z95.3!!! 🤩
Side Note: I’m still going to be calling it Stop, Drop, and Shop (or anything with an ‘op’ in it) because I can’t seem to get it right…