In case you’re just joining us – just found us on Twitter or FaceBook, or found us through a Google search for contests – here are some things I’d like you to know:
1) I’m a stay-at-home mom in Vancouver with two kids (7 yr old and 11 yr old). I chose to raise my kids instead of going back to work, a decision I sometimes regret but in the end really appreciate (it’s not for everybody, but it works for us). Because I don’t have an income, I try to contribute by winning our “entertainment” – money, trips, family shows, Playland passes, etc.
2) I started writing this blog just to keep myself organized because I couldn’t keep track of all the radio contests. When people started reading it and engaging, I found my calling!! Blogging is where it’s at for me. I get to talk about the contests with other people who “get it”, which makes me feel like part of a community (much like techies like to get together in chat rooms, I suppose). We all love radio, we love contests, and we like to compare notes.
3) I started out with a free blog at blogspot, and set up a Twitter account to get them out there. As the community grew, I started a FaceBook page and a website, where I’ve expanded to other contests besides just radio. I use my Contests Vancouver FaceBook page profile to comment on other posts as a simple way to let people know we exist.
4) Because this is not a business and merely a personal page, sometimes I say things that can offend people. I don’t go out of my way to piss people off, and I try to act with a conscience. In general, I am very giving and FORgiving. I pretty much like everyone, and always try to see where they’re coming from when they make comments (whether I agree or disagree).
5) I am fiercely loyal and can be a pitbull if crossed. My 7 year old is transgendered so I am passionate about the issues affecting transgendered people and will not put up with homophobia. Everyone has a right to their opinion but they can go opine that negativity elsewhere – I don’t want to hear it. I am socially awkward, inappropriate, and an over-sharer. I’m a co-sleeping, un-coddling, eat-junk-food-till-you-puke, natural consequences type of parent. I bark at my kids and sometimes at my friends, usually because I’m at the end of my rope. It’s nothing a simple spa getaway wouldn’t resolve! I hope I can win one…
6) I love helping people, especially if I can help them win something. I’m trying to win stuff too, but if I don’t win, then I’m just as happy for the person who DOES win! There have been so many times I wished someone was there to help me – keep track of guesses, a list of names called, a phone call if I missed my name, etc. Well, now I AM that somebody. And I am HAPPY to help others. Because I can. Paying it forward after a lifetime of reaping the benefits of others’ kindness.
Now that both kids are finally in school and I have time to catch my breath, I can put more time into blogging. I will also write some short books and self-publish them for Kindle. I’ve written one book already (Defending Rebecca) and am working on two more. Meanwhile, I’ll keep my ear to the ground for fun local contests.
One more thing: I have no inside scoop on contests. I’m playing everything just like you – blindly!
Thanks for playing!